DR. ZIA UL HAQ (DIRECTOR IPH&SS)
Professor Dr Zia Ul Haq
firstname.lastname@example.org, +92 (0) 333 925 8763
PS-1 +92 5892867, +92 3469070211, PS-2 +923339152170, Direct; +92 (0) 333 925 8763,
Work address: Director Institute of Public Health & Social Sciences (IPH&SS), First Floor, Academic Block, Khyber Medical University (KMU), Phase 5, Hayatabad, Peshawar, KP, Pakistan, Post code 25000.
Residence: Zia House, House 190, Street 6, Sector J-1, Phase 2, Hayatabad, Peshawar, KPK, Pakistan.
Prof. Zia Ul Haq is the Director of the IPH&SS, KMU. He earned his PhD from University of Glasgow and is a principal investigator of several large ongoing studies. He played important role in implementing family medicine approach, elderly care, obesity interventions, and establishing regional public health reference lab at Pakistan. He is a technical member on the majority of health committees as a public health specialist and work in close collaboration with Department of Health KP and FATA. He is honoured with a National Best University Teacher and life time achievement awards for his services in the field of Public Health.
- Received life time achievement award on 22nd Feb 2017 in recognition of services in the field of Public Health by the hand of His Excellency Mr. Iqbal Zafar Jhagra, Governor of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- Has been conferred with Higher Education Commission, Pakistan best teacher award and a cash prize of PKR one lac by Engineer Baleegh ur Rahman, Hon Federal Minister for Education & Professional Training in a ceremony held at Islamabad on 21st Feb 2018. The award was based on assessments of qualification, community based applied research/interventions, teaching, research papers, research grants and many other parameters and those who earn the highest points in national competition become eligible for this national level award.
- PhD in Public Health (University of Glasgow, UK)
Title of Thesis: “Adiposity and Subjective Well-being. Thesis can be accessed online via this link: http://theses.gla.ac.uk/5519/
- Master in Public Health (Gandhara University, Peshawar, Pakistan:2006-2007)
- MBBS (Khyber Medical College, University of Peshawar, Pakistan:1999-2005)
- Director & Professor (BPS-21 Institute of Public Health & Social Sciences, KMU: Dec 2017 till date). Academic, research, administrative and financial head of all departments under the institute; including Public Health (PhD Public Health, Master in Public Health, Master in Hospital administration, Master in NCD, Master in MNCH), Epidemiology (Msc Epidemiology & Biostatistics), Health Research (2 yrs Master, 1 yr Diploma, 6 months Certificate), Family Medicine (1 year diploma in Family Medicine), and Community Dentistry (Msc). From this platform he works in close collaboration with the provincial and federal department of health.
- Director-(BPS-20 Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization, KMU: July 2015 to Dec 2017). Head of the administration and finances of activities related to research, innovation & commercialization of all the constituent and affiliated institutes under of KMU-KP.
- Associate Professor (BPS 20, Institute of Public Health & Social Sciences, KMU, Peshawar, Pakistan: April 2015 till date)
- Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer (University of Glasgow 2015 to 2020)
- Assistant Professor (BPS 19, Institute of Public Health & Social Sciences, Khyber Medical University, Peshawar, Pakistan: July 2010- March 2015)
- Lecturer Public Health (BPS-18, Institute of Public Health & Social Sciences, Khyber Medical University, Peshawar, Pakistan: January,2009- July 2010)
- Medical Surveillance Officer (Field Epidemiology & Lab Training Program FELTP: June 2008- July 2009). A project of CDC Atlanta, based at Hayatabad Medical Complex, Peshawar Pakistan for the Infectious Diseases particularly hepatitis and influenza)
- Provincial Surveillance Officer, EHA WHO (United Nation- World Health Organization, Pakistan: January 1st 2007 to February 31st, 2009). Implementation of disease, early warning system for infectious diseases, started as surveillance officer at district level and later one promoted to a provincial incharge where I implemented DEWS in almost all districts of KP, Pakistan. Was part of Emergency Humanitarian Action team responsible for alert and outbreak response from planning through field response all over Pakistan. Covered several outbreaks including H5N1, H1N1, Cholera, Dengue fever, Diphtheria, Measles, Polio, chicken pox and typhoid.
- Health Management & Information System Officer & Health regulatory Authority (BPS-17, KPK Health Department Dir Upper: June 2006 - December 2006). District incharge of the monthly ongoing surveillance of the majority aspects of health system including communicable and non communicable diseases, human resource, facility and community based services, drugs and equipments, logistics and trainings. First point of contact team for response to any alarming situations particularly communicable and non communicable diseases or any significant changes in service delivery.
- House Officer (Lady Reading Hospital, Peshawar, Pakistan; 2005-2006). Worked as clinicians for one year in one of the largest teaching hospital of Pakistan from casualty to wards and OT in different fields of medicine and surgery.
Research Interest: Public health nutrition, Epidemiology of communicable and non communicable diseases, Elderly care, mental health, environmental health, health-related quality of life and Health system.
- Arranged three International Health Conferences at Khyber Medical University, Peshawar (2015-2017)- Chief Organizer
Abstracts and Presentation
- STOP project, BIPS institute University of Bremen, Germany, Switzerland and Sweden (20 April to 4th May 2018)
- 20th Public Health Conference, Melbourne (Feb 1,2nd- 2018 oral presentation)
- Biorisk Management by sandia Lab USA at Phuket, Thailand (April 2017)
- Biorisk Management by sandia Lab USA at Bankok, Thailand (Oct 2016)
- Environmental Health Conference, Florida USA (July 2015)
- Preventive Cardiology Conference, Florida USA (August 2015)
- Global Health Conference, University of Yale, New Haven, USA, (April 2014)
- Annual Health Research Conference, KMU, Peshawar, Pakistan, (Feb 2013 and Feb 2014)
- 46th Annual Society for Epidemiologic research, Boston USA (June 2013)
- Weight Stigma Conference, University of Birmingham (May 2013)
- 140th Annual Meeting, American Public Health Association's, San Fransico, CA (Oct 2012)
- Royal Statistical Society, London (July 2012)
List of Publications:
- Prof Dr Muhammad Saleem (Registrar KMU), email@example.com , 91 9217703
- Prof. Dr Jill Pell, Director of Institute (Institute of Health and Wellbeing) telephone: 01413303239, email: Jill.Pell@glasgow.ac.uk
- Dr. Saeed Akbar (WHO Team leader, KP, Pakistan) firstname.lastname@example.org, +92 (0) 300 590 3375